Friday 28 June 2013

Perth - and Civilisation.


Continuing west toward Augusta, two nites were spent at Alexandra Bridge (Camps6 #287).  Met some nomads I'd previously met at Starvation Boat Harbour and new ones from Myalup for some amiable campfire chats in the evening.   

In Augusta, I visited Cape Leeuwin and toured the lighthouse - a fascinating and informative tour.    Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse is the tallest lighthouse on the Australian mainland (there are two taller lighthouses in Bass Strait).  The lighthouse was built in less than a year, is bedded in solid granite but is built of limestone, as limestone is easier to work with.  The light rotating mechanism was initially run on a similar basis to a grandfather clock, with a long weight on a cable descending down the center of the lighthouse, which apparently had to be wound up every four hours:  It has now been replaced by a small electric motor.  ascending the 176 steps to the outdoor viewing deck gives you the view you would expect, only better!   You would be safe in assuming the Indian Ocean and the Southern Ocean  - which meet at Cape Leeuwin - are competing for the most spectacular ocean vista.

Lunch, a tour of the town and stop at the Visitors Centre, where they told me of the magnificent karri forests along the coast -  then off to Conto Beach for the next few days.  The beach is quite a way from the campground, as I discovered when I set off to walk to it but never found it:  Mind you, I wasn't sure which direction it was and did a few circles before finally heading back to the van.  The karri forests were easier to find so some peaceful walks were enjoyed, plus a few more photos!!   I met Martin, another Tasmanian solo in a van similar to mine.  He informed me of a solo lady European tourist camped nearby who was just getting over a bout of gastro and he had bought some gastro tablets for her when he was in Margaret River earlier that day.  Before we left, we ensured she could look after herself, and she assured us she was now much better and could manage. 

To the beach!  That was at Prevelley, west of Margaret River, and a nice surf beach it is!  The town of Margaret River is also a vibrant town, now with some 120+ vineyards surrounding it in what was dairy country in the past.  It has turned into quite a cultural centre, with good food, art & crafts and, of course, fine wines.   

Many of the campsites have a short section of gravel road leading into them, so on the way to Potters Gorge in Wellington NP when my GPS told me to turn left off the bitumen onto a dirt track I didn't realise I was being hornswaggled up the wrong track until I climbed a  short steep pinch, surveyed the steeper, rough descent toward oblivion and decided continuing on would be a disaster!  I had to back down - quite a challenge - and when I got back to the bitumen, the GPS had the cheek to tell me to turn left and continue along the road I was on initially!   Potters Gorge campsite is in jarrah forests on the edge of Wellington Dam, where by chance Martin was also camped.  The weather was very cool and damp but the National Park Service supplied firewood and fireplaces to burn it in - warm is good! 

Onward to Martins Tank Lake in Yalgorup NP, but it  was closed for maintenance so I went to Heron Point (Camps6 #262), which now requires a fee year around:  Nice location but a bit basic for what they charge, I felt.  The next day I arrived in Perth, ending this part of the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment