Monday 4 March 2013

2013 Big Loop - The First Step



An interlude in Tassie after the travels last year as part of the never-ending-summer strategy as well as touching base before setting off again to go around Australia.  Summer in Tassie was great, but like all good things, it is drawing to an end.  Thus, all the necessary preparations to do the Big Loop were done, van packed - it took a couple of hours to pack the van BUT at least 2 1/2 days to find things I wanted to take!  The van was serviced, tyres rotated, re-seal along roof to fix a leak (Sika silicone, great stuff!) and then off to Lonnie for a last few days with family before departure on 4th March at 0900.  So, an early departure for Devonport, virtually straight onto the Spirit, for a quiet and comfortable crossing and meeting Chris, a work acquaintance from yesteryear, for a happy reminisce!  There was a small delay getting off due to Melbourne traffic but an improved route onto the Westgate Freeway was discovered, which was a great relief to me as my earlier route always found me in the wrong lane and onto the toll road - not a great problem if heading north but this time I wanted to head to Geelong.   So onward to my planned night stop at a freecamp partway to Geelong and a night's rest. 
Mixed feelings about heading off again, it will be a long time before seeing family & friends again but I'll catch up with relatives in Perth so that is a real bonus, as the distance makes visits infrequent.  I really want to see Western Australia and during planning it looks like I can expect some decent beach fishing along the South Australia coast.  I'm looking forward to my first visit to the Flinders Ranges and the Great Ocean Road is always exciting.  And so, Westward Ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment