Thursday 26 April 2012

The Pebbles


The Pebbles are an Aboriginal Sacred Site just north of Tennant Creek, mainly used for women's ceremonies.  It is an area scattered with granite rocks & boulders.  A proposal to mine the granite - which is red hued and very coarse grained - for floor & kitchen tiles met with strong protests, resulting in its preservation as a reserve.  The Aboriginal Community manages the area and facilities are provided.

During the night spent here dingoes were heard howling nearby - very near in fact.  The night was cool and I was welled tucked up in my sleeping bag.  The early alarm was a shock, not nearly so much as finding out I'd run out of gas so no morning coffee!  Today I'll mosey on down to the Devils Marbles, with stops at the Telegraph Station & Lake Mary Kathleen (I think is the proper name); oh, and for some gas of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment